The OWIP Approach – what can I expect?
STEP 1: Intake
- Fill out the Intake Form
- Come in to the OWIP office (2 Simcoe Street South, unit 500 – CIBC building at the corner of King & Simcoe, Oshawa) and meet with the Employment Coordinator.
- This meeting with take approximately one hour. You will fill out the necessary paperwork for Service Canada, and answer a few questions. This will give OWIP staff a starting point on how best to serve you.
- After a few days, you will be contacted about eligibility. Another appointment will be made to start your Employment Action Plan.
STEP 2: Employment Action Plan
- You will meet with OWIP staff to determine a plan of action to help you prepare for employment. This is your Employment Action Plan (EAP), which you will continue to use throughout the process.
- Each EAP varies depending on the needs/defined goals of each client.
- OWIP staff will provide guidance and feedback to support you in achieving your goals.
- Your commitment to finding employment is crucial; employment is not guaranteed and success if heavily impacted by your motivation, commitment to participation, and attitude.
STEP 3: Career Decision Making & Pre-Employment Supports
- You may participate in group and one-on-one workshops.
- These meetings are based on the individual needs and goals identified in your EAP.
- Such sessions may include:
- resume and cover letter updating
- self-esteem building
- accommodation training
- disability rights and responsibilities training
- interview preparation
- communication skills
- and many more
STEP 4: Job Searching & Job Development
- When you’re ready, you will meet with the Job Developer to discuss your employment goals and job search strategies.
- With the support of the Job Developer, you will led your own job search process.
- Job Developers support you during the job search process and advocate on your behalf with employers when requested.
- In some cases, wage subsidy and work experience opportunities may be available
Contact OWIP Employment Specialist, Maddie Longo at email@example.com for more information or to book an intake appointment.